COVID-Response: Palliative Care Resources
To contribute toward health care professional preparedness during this pandemic, Pallium is collaborating with partners and subject matter experts from across Canada to create and compile COVID-19 and palliative care resources.
Additional COVID-related palliative care resources
The Canadian Palliative Care (CPC) Exchange supports interactive, online national dialogue between health care professionals across Canada regarding the most relevant COVID-related topics in palliative care. The CPC Exchange is a professional learning site, moderated by members of the Canadian Society of Palliative Care Physicians, and open to all health care professionals including physicians, nurses, social workers, and pharmacists. There is no cost to participate.
Join the CPC Exchange now to:
- Ask questions about palliative care during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Share your experiences
- Teach and learn with colleagues from across Canada
Join now: www.cpcexchange.ca
Pallium, in collaboration with several health care professionals from across Canada, has created a guide to managing potential palliative care medication shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic. Access the guide now.
Pallium has partnered with physicians in British Columbia to help develop a video to support conversations around advance care planning during the pandemic. This video is intended as a clinical resource that health care providers can use with patients and their families to initiate a talk about advance care planning amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Watch the video now.
Pallium has compiled a list of additional COVID-19 related resources, such as symptom management protocols and discussion guides, that have been developed by others (e.g. Fraser Health, McMaster University) and we’ll continue to add to the list as we become aware of them. Access these resources by logging into Pallium Central and clicking on the COVID-19 palliative care resources icon.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our partners have responded by compiling a series of tools and resources for health care teams across Canada.
- Canadian Society of Palliative Care Physicians – CSPCP has a recorded webinar about providing palliative care in the time of COVID-19.
- Canadian Virtual Hospice – CVH has compiled a list of tools and resources that is continuously updated and includes information related to symptom management, communication, free online learning, and more.
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada – CFPC has centralized its resources and information for family physicians and patients on COVID, including webinars, podcasts, and blogs.
- McMaster University, Division of Palliative Care – The Division of Palliative Care has compiled a list of COVID-19 resources for health care professionals including podcasts, protocols, and guidelines.
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada – To support health care professionals who are providing high quality patient care during the pandemic, the Royal College has compiled evidence-based information and resources about COVID-19.
This Impact Report provides a snapshot of the achievements that have been made to support frontline health care providers working in urban, rural, and remote communities and connect them to vital COVID-19 palliative care education to help equip them to navigate these unprecedented health care circumstances. Read the report now.
Additional resources for health care providers, teams, and workplaces
A practical, peer-reviewed, and fully referenced one-stop resource that is intended to support safe, ethical, effective, and accountable palliative clinical service. The Pocketbook is a practical, interprofessional just-in-time clinical resource that can be referenced in a health care professional’s daily practice. Purchase the hard copy or e-book now.
If you are looking for more information beyond the resources provided on this page, consider registering for LEAP Core (online), a facilitated online learning program that consists of self-directed, interactive modules and facilitated webinars. LEAP Core (online) provides an in-depth learning experience on essential skills and competencies of the palliative care approach. Learn more about LEAP Core (online) now.