Pallium Canada’s COVID-19 Response Resources
To contribute toward health care professional preparedness during this pandemic, Pallium has made a series of palliative care online modules and webinars available to health care professionals across the country.
Free online modules
Pallium, in collaboration with the Canadian Medical Association (CMA), is providing free access to essential education on palliative care for all health care professionals in response to this unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic. This offer expires August 31, 2020.
Available modules (currently only available in English):
- Taking Ownership
- Advance Care Planning
- Managing Dyspnea
- Palliative Sedation
- Last Days and Hours
- Delirium (*NEW)
- Pain Management (*NEW)
- Palliative Care for COVID Illness – Module A (*NEW)
- Palliative Care for COVID Illness – Module B (*NEW)
Pallium, in collaboration with Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd., is hosting a series of webinars in the upcoming weeks focused on topics that are relevant to our health care teams who are actively leading the response to COVID-19. Register now, space is limited.
- Palliative Care Teams in the Community – Coming soon.
- Supporting Indigenous Communities – Coming soon.
- PPE in the Home – Friday April 3, 2020 @ 4 pm ET. Access the recording. Access Q&A.
- End-of-Life Care in the ED for Patients Imminently Dying of a Transmissible Acute Respiratory Infection (such as COVID-19) – Wednesday April 8, 2020 @ 8 pm ET. Access the recording. Access Q&A.
- Managing Dyspnea in Patients with COVID-19 – Tuesday April 14, 2020 @ 4 pm ET. Access the recording. Access the webinar PowerPoint presentation.
- Shortage of Palliative Medications During COVID: Options – Wednesday April 15, 2020 @ 2 pm ET. Access the recording. Access the webinar PowerPoint presentation. Access the guide.
- Reorganizing Palliative Care Services during the COVID-19 Pandemic – Friday April 17, 2020 @ 12 pm ET. Access the recording.
- Palliative Approach to Care in the Coronavirus Pandemic – Friday April 17, 2020 @ 5 pm ET. Access the recording.
- Role of Grief and Bereavement in the Care of Health Care Providers and their Families during COVID-19 – Wednesday April 22, 2020 @ 1 pm ET. Access the recording. Access the webinar PowerPoint presentation.
- Palliative Approach to Care in Long-Term Care during COVID-19 – Monday April 27, 2020 @ 5:00 pm ET. Access the recording.
- Providing Virtual Palliative Care – Friday May 8, 2020 @ 4 pm ET. Access the recording.
- Essential Conversations: Utilizing Advance Care Planning & Serious Illness Tools During COVID-19 and Throughout the Patient Journey – Wednesday May 13 @ 6 pm ET. Access the recording. Access the webinar PowerPoint presentation. Access Q&A.
- The Psychological Impact of COVID on Health Care Professionals – Friday May 29, 2020 @ 11 am ET. Access the recording.
- Approche palliative et personnes âgées en milieu hospitalier dans le contexte du Covid 19 – Thursday June 4, 2020 @ 3 pm ET. Access the recording.
- The State of Palliative Care in Hospitals: Insights from the COVID Pandemic – Friday June 5, 2020 @ 4 pm ET. Recording coming soon.
Additional resources for health care providers, teams, and workplaces
A practical, peer-reviewed, and fully referenced one-stop resource that is intended to support safe, ethical, effective, and accountable palliative clinical service. The Pocketbook is a practical, interprofessional just-in-time clinical resource that can be referenced in a health care professional’s daily practice. Purchase the hard copy or e-book now.
If you are looking for more information beyond the 10 palliative care modules above, consider registering for LEAP Online, a facilitated online learning program that consists of self-directed, interactive modules and facilitated webinars. LEAP Online provides an in-depth learning experience on essential skills and competencies of the palliative care approach. Register for LEAP Online now.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, our partners have responded by compiling a series of tools and resources for health care teams across Canada.
- Canadian Society of Palliative Care Physicians – CSPCP has a recorded webinar about providing palliative care in the time of COVID-19.
- Canadian Virtual Hospice – CVH has compiled a list of tools and resources that is continuously updated and includes information related to symptom management, communication, free online learning, and more.
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada – CFPC has centralized its resources and information for family physicians and patients on COVID, including webinars, podcasts, and blogs.
- McMaster University, Division of Palliative Care – The Division of Palliative Care has compiled a list of COVID-19 resources for health care professionals including podcasts, protocols, and guidelines.
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada – To support health care professionals who are providing high quality patient care during the pandemic, the Royal College has compiled evidence-based information and resources about COVID-19.