One-day, award-winning palliative care course for health care professionals.
LEAP Mini is an interprofessional course that provides health care professionals with a condensed, one-day learning experience on the essential skills and competencies of the palliative care approach. LEAP Mini is taught by local experts who are experienced palliative care clinicians and educators.
Who is it for?
LEAP Mini is ideal for any health care professional (e.g. physician, nurse, pharmacist, social worker, etc.) whose primary focus of work is not palliative care but who provides care for patients with life-threatening and progressive life-limiting illnesses.
LEAP Mini promotes teamwork, supports interprofessional collaboration, and fosters connections among providers in different agencies who work together (e.g. community-based family physicians, home care nurses, community pharmacists, etc.).
- One day, 8.5 hours in total
- Face-to-face learning with group discussion and case studies
- Interprofessional approach
- Built by Canadian palliative care experts
- Course materials include a downloadable manual and the best-selling resource, the Pallium Palliative Pocketbook
This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 16.50 Mainpro+ credits.
Upon completion of LEAP Mini, learners should be able to:
- Identify patients who could benefit from a palliative care approach earlier in the illness trajectory
- Promote and undertake Advance Care Planning discussions
- Assess and manage pain; delirium; dyspnea; and nausea, nutrition, and hydration
- Develop plans to address spiritual, religious, or psychosocial needs
- Initiate essential discussions related to palliative and end-of-life care in daily work
- Prepare patients and families for last days and hours
- Taking Ownership
- Advance Care Planning and Decision-making
- Essential Conversations
- Nausea, Nutrition, and Hydration
- Psychological Distress
- Last Days and Hours