Online, self-learning course for carers.
LEAP Carers is an online, self-learning course that provides carers with information and resources to help them provide care to their family or friends living with a serious illness.
Caregiving is a role that most caregivers are thrust into with little to no preparation or training. LEAP Carers provides important information, practical training and resources for family caregivers who support those facing life-limiting illnesses. LEAP Carers builds on the highly successful caregiver training program from the Champlain Hospice Palliative Care Program and focuses on a series of free, online interactive modules that focus on the ‘functional’ aspect of being a caregiver. Topics include navigating the health care system, advance care planning, how to provide personal care and hygiene with dignity, end of life and medication management, caregiver communication and advocacy skills as well as self-care strategies.
Who is it for?
LEAP Carers is ideal for anyone who provides care to a person with a serious illness or for anyone who wants to support a carer.
- 4 online, self-learning modules.
- Built by Canadian hospice, palliative care, and caregiver experts.
- Participants will receive a LEAP certificate of completion.
Topics Covered Include
- The Role of Carers
- What is Hospice and Palliative Care and the Palliative Care Approach
- Communication Skills
- Advance Care Planning
- Providing Personal Care
- Sterile and Clean Environments
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)
- Self-Care and Self-Compassion
- What to Expect at End of Life
- Medication Management