Award-winning palliative care course for paramedics and Emergency Medical Service professionals.
LEAP Paramedic is a blended learning course for paramedics and Emergency Medical Service professionals that teaches the essential practical knowledge, attitudes, and skills to provide a palliative care approach on-site. LEAP Paramedic is taught by local paramedic experts and experienced palliative care practitioners.
LEAP Paramedic can be delivered online or in-person.
Who is it for?
LEAP Paramedic is ideal for paramedics and Emergency Medical Service professionals.
LEAP Paramedic promotes teamwork, enhances transitions of care, and catalyzes quality improvement initiatives in daily practice and within teams.
- Built by Canadian palliative care and paramedic experts.
- Learners receive a LEAP certificate of completion.
- 8 hours of online learning.
- 6-8 hours of online learning.
- 6 hours of case-based face-to-face discussions.
Upon completion of LEAP Paramedic, learners should be able to:
- Identify patients who could benefit from a palliative care approach earlier in the illness trajectory
- Describe a framework to assist in making clinical decisions related to palliative and end-of-life care
- Assess and recommend an initial treatment plan for pain; delirium; dyspnea; and nausea, vomiting, and hydration
- Recognize signs and symptoms of palliative care emergencies
- Perform essential discussions related to palliative and end-of-life care in daily work
- Recognize signs of imminent death and describe your role in preparing patients and families for last days and hours
Topics Covered Include
- Taking Ownership
- Decision-Making and Advance Care Planning
- Nausea, Vomiting, and Hydration
- Palliative Emergencies
- Psychosocial Distress
- Shifting Paradigms
- Clinical Scenarios and Decision-Making
- Pain and Gastrointestinal Symptoms
- Essential Conversations
- Respiratory and Last Days